Monday, April 16, 2007

Non-places Part II

Last week's reading about places and non-places by Auge really interested me. Initially, I was skeptical of and confused by the term "non-place". I thought, "Isn't everything a place in some sense?". However, once I understood Auge's criteria for non-places, everything became clearer. Auge believes that non-places are spaces we merely visit. They most likely have an element of commercialization and anonymity. Also, non-places deal with travel and distancing. Examples of non-places could be a bus, an elevator, a big lecture hall, an airport, a bank, a hotel, or a mall. In this context, the idea of non-places began to make more sense to me. Places, on the other hand, have a historical context and are concerned with identity. Examples could be a town square, a church, and a long-term job. People generally spend more time in places than non-places. I realized that I visit non-places just as much as I visit places on a daily basis. Auge also points out that a person's daily routine is a continuous shift between places and non-places, which is certainly true in my case. On an average day, I might get up in the morning and leave my dorm (place), some days attend a large lecture (non-place), get money from the ATM (non-place), meet friends for lunch at the cafeteria (place), take the bus (non-place) to work, spend time at work (place), take the bus (non-place) home, go to the library (place) to work on homework, and finally sleep at home (place). Another point that was brought up in our class was that defining a certain space to be a non-place or place is very subjective. A coffee shop for some people may be a place to grab a quick cup of coffee. For others, it may be a place to meet friends every Tuesday night. Auge's discussion of places and non-places shed new light on a topic containing familiar elements but new ideas.

3 comments:

Randi said...

I guess I didn't really buy into the idea that we spend most of our time in non-places. When you broke down your day to place and non-place, it really did seem clear. I guess I don't really think of things like walking to class to be considered as spending time somewhere when I probably spend 2 hours a day walking around. Wierd.

Becky said...

I also didn't think we spent a lot of time in non-places, but lloking at your list of activities we do. I was wondering, though, if we continually go to the same non-place does it ever become a place? Does it ever become familiar enough for it to be a place?

Becky said...

I think the non-place we go to frequently only becomes a place when we turn it into one. For example, say we get on the elevator every Wednesday morning. For awhile, we ride it and go to class without talking to the other people that get on it at that time too. One day, we begin to talk to a person next to us, and this continues for the rest of the semester. I think a non-place can be familiar and still be a non-place; it's the interactions that happen that make it a place.