Thursday, April 12, 2007

Non-places???


I chose a bus for my non-place. I observed the people and surroundings on my way to work one afternoon, and here's what happened:
First of all, I recognized a sense of solitude and anonymity as I waited for the bus with about fifteen strangers. Some people were waiting with friends, but the majority of us were standing alone. Most of us were listening to iPods or talking on cell phones, which also symbolized a loss of a relationship with the people around us (even though we might be expressing our relationship with someone on the phone).
When the bus came, we all gathered in a group and headed onto the bus. The bus driver seemed to be "counting" us as we stepped on, as he pushed a button for each new passenger. This gave me a sense that I was literally "just a number" in the world of the Metro bus line.
However, sometimes when I take the bus, I spot a co-worker and begin to talk. In this way, the bus seems to be transferred into a "place" because we are "regulars" of that schedule and bus, thus making a history.
A couple major components of non-places are the feelings of being in motion and traveling. This is pretty self-explanantory for a vehicle such as a bus, for it literally took us from one place to the next. However, it would not be considered a "place" because it was involved in the in between stage.
While on the bus, strangers sat next to strangers for the most part. Since many people use Bus 80 on campus, there was a good chance the person sitting next to someone would be a stranger. Everyone was simply using the bus to get somewhere-a "real" place.
One more characteristic of a non-place is the idea that people "use it and leave". This is certainly true of a bus or other public transportation system.

My experience with a non-place fit pretty well with Auge's definition of one, although there were some exceptions.

No comments: